History of the Museum

« On the initiative of Raymond TRIBOULET, France's first sub-prefect after the Liberation » the permanent exhibition on the Normandy Landings was officially opened on June 5th 1954 in Arromanches by Monsieur RenÚ COTY, the then President of the French Republic.
It was the first museum to be built in commemoration of June 6th 1944 and the Normandy Campaign.
The D-day Museum overlooks the very spot where one of the Mulberry Harbours was constructed and where its remains can still be seen today, just a few hundred metres from the shore.